Ida posed the question about

 a PWP, who had a pallidotomy about
>two weeks ago. He had, so he said a symptom that worried him. He was always
>hungry and the hunger did not decrease eating normal quantities. He could
>eat in one meal the same quantity, as he did before the surgery in three
>meals.He had before the surgery not suffered from problems with eating, was
>not underweight. I said  I did not know anything about this symptom as a
>result of palidotomy, but promised to ask you.

Ida, this happened to my mother in law - especially after she had been on a
fluids only or intravenous fluids for a while during hospital stays. We
discovered after many years and when her vision started to fail that she in
fact had diabetes.  Hunger is one of the symptoms, but not known about as
much as excessive thirst.  Have your friend get a proper blood sugar test
done.

Joy Graham