Hello Barb and Ivan et al:

        I've been reading with interest all about silver ribbons, lavender
ribbons, flames of hope and so on as symbols to represent Parkinson's
and Parkinsonians.  It seems to me there is already an international
symbol -- the James Parkinson tulip, developed in Holland to honor an
English doctor, and used throughout Canada, from Newfoundland to
Vancouver Island.

        It's not only a beautiful tulip (see a picture on the National
Parkinson Foundation website), but it can be used in many, many ways --
as a lapel pin, on canvas bags, on drinking mugs, on stationery, on pins
and posters with or without the word Parkinson's. As a flower of spring,
the tulip already represents new life, a new beginning, which is the
whole idea of Awakenings!

        I don't think the Canadian foundation would object if the tulip became
as popular in the United States as it already is in Canada and some
other countries as an icon for the awakening of the Parkinson's
population to a new era of co-operation and progress.  Just imagine all
the ways you can use a tulip -- especially the James Parkinson tulip --
to raise awareness around the world.

                                                Yours truly, Alan Richards, London, Canada