Shari asked:

"Hello Joan... Would you explain what "chelation" is. I've seen bumper
stickers on cars saying "I support chelation"....but personally I have no idea
what it is. Thanks very much. Cheers, Shari"

Shari -
   Chelation usually refers to chelation therapy using EDTA (ethylene diamine
tetraacetic acid).  The word chelation refers to the way certain synthetic
chemical and body proteins can bind metal molecules.  EDTA has extra negative
charges that can combine with positive ones of metals and thus remove it from
the body. IV infusions with EDTA is the established method used around the
world for removal of heavy metals.
   While there are no double blind studies testing the use of chelation
therapy to improve circulation (probably its most common use),  there is a
great deal of evidence in the form of anicdotal records that it has in many
cases turned around problems with atherosclerosis.  Because many diseases have
a circulation component, it has been helpful for many other diseases as well.
We may never see the double blind studies for chelation because the patent for
EDTA ran out in 1948.
   The ACAM (American College of Advancement in Medicine) has drawn up
guidelines and set up training for doctors for the safe and effective use of
EDTA. They have a certification process for doctors, and it is important that
the doctor you choose is following their guidelines.