On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Jim wrote:

> Jack,
> Perhaps you should warn people if they receive an attachment from an
> unknown source--they might want to be cautious about opening it!  If I
> don't know the person sending me an attactment--I "Trash" it.
>
>                                     Jim
> >        Right on, Barb! The only way email can provide a virus is via an
> >        attachment which turns out to be a program which the receiver in
> >        turn executes. There apparently are some word processing virus'
> >        but again one must execute the attachment to enable the virus.

Execute - run - is the magic word here. If it's an image or plain text,
there is no danger in opening it and looking at it. Programs, and in some
cases word processor documents like MS Word .doc files are to be treated
with some caution after you have extracted them from the email they came in.

Take care,
John.