Recently there have been a couple of requests for ideas on stress management.
I'd like to first pick up on this by saying that, just as with PD, each person
is unique -- what causes stress and what works to alieviate it may be
different for each person.  Since the requests were for ideas, here are
some...............they not all-inclusive, & I'm hoping others will add to my
list.  If you are someone reading this & looking for these ideas, for each
suggestion, ask yourself "What kind of .............. would help me?"

medications
good nutrition
exercise
do whatever it takes to get enough sleep
have frequent opportunities to get away, especially if it is to do something
        entirely unrelated to illness & which elicits a feeling of peace, comfort,
        and/or joy.   Schedule these moments in your day each day; take a day away
        for this frequently; leave for a week or preferably longer occasionally.
have at least one person who cares personally just about you, who will listen
&       understand & affirm
resolve unresolved relationships with people who you are in your life, within
        yourself and/or with them
accept the situation, but do not resign yourself to it
pray -- personal prayer for oneself & for the situation; & receive prayer
support          from other individuals.
pray for others -- sometimes when you feel there's absolutely nothing you can
        do for someone because of distance or debilitation or whatever, it helps to
        know we can always pray for others
learn certain relaxation "exercises" which can then be done frequently to
        provide one with a more peaceful approach to life, and/or to use when needed
learn certain thought-changing techiques which can change the way you think
        about problems, which then reduces stress & its effects
learn about practical helps ......... certain equipment or ways of doing
things  which make life easier
etc.

These are just off the top of my head.  I know there are more, & encourage
others to add to them.

If you want help applying any of these to your life, I would, and I'm sure
others on the list would, be glad to expand on any of the suggestion I or
others are making.

People on this list can help quite a lot.  For individual help, it's best to
supply information on:
What is your particular situation or problem or what are the feeling you
struggle        with?
What have you tried so far?  What has worked, & what has not?

Now, a bit about me.  I was diagnosed with PD ~ 6 yrs ago, although
experienced symptoms for years before that.  My masters degrees are in
psychology & social work.  I've worked a great deal with people and groups
with medical problems, as well as with those with psychological problems,
family problems, etc.

I had to leave my job as a psychotherapist/counselor due to the parkinsons
combined with lifelong intractible migraine pain, and some other major
problems which were going on at the same time.  Since I live ~ 1 hrs drive
from the city in which I worked, & since I was very ill, I immediately lost
daily contact with all of the the people & activities which had been such a
large & positive part of my life, with the exception of one close friend.   As
she is a therapist, too, she provided, fortunately, ongoing long distance
involvement in my profession, as well as deep caring.

I'm also a part time caregiver for an elderly relative.  So I've experienced
personally the multitude of stresses involved in being a caregiver, and a
person with chronic serious illness.  I've used all of the above coping
suggestion plus more.........at various times successfully or not.

I've found limited ways to remain involved in the work I love, which brings me
to a major reason for this post.  Lately I've been thinking about creating a
workbook for use by group leaders, or teachers, or therapists, or individuals.
This endeavor would bring together my education, my experience, my love of
teaching, my desire to be productive & helpful & to bring positive change to
people's lives; while at the same time not require my ongoing reliable
presence, which often isn't possible.  I like the idea of a workbook format,
as this engages people to actually do something good for themselves, rather
than just read about it.  The workbook  would be around the theme of coping
with chronic serious illness.

I'd like to request input from those on our lists who are physicians, nurses,
social workers, psychologists, group leaders, caregivers, & patients, and
anyone else who would be willing to respond.  Your thoughts on any or all of
my questions would be so very much appreciated!

Would you, personally, find such a workbook helpful?
Would you be inclined to use it for yourself or with others?
What could I include which would be most helpful to you?  to others?
What coping ideas can you add?

I'll be glad to synthesize responses & share them with all of you in a later
post.  It will be very helpful, & perhaps encouraging, to me, to learn from
you whether or not there would be an interest in such a workbook, whether it
would be a valuable investment of my precious functional hours.

Thanks for taking the time to read this rather long post, and for considering
my idea.  You are helping me cope!

M.Dawn   55/6