I am a speech pathologist and professor who has been conducting research on
the effects of pallidotomy on voice and speech symptoms in patients with
Parkinson's disease and I am seeing several people for voice and speech
therapy. Recently I have had several patients tell me that they have gone on
Meripex, the new dopamine agonist, and they have loved the longer lasting
sinemet effects and the improvements in motor functions but they have also
mentioned that since they were on the drug they have noticed that their
voice had improved. Since I have not heard this spontaneously from many
folks for any other treatments I thought I'd put the question to the folks
on the list. If you have had good effects on your voice or speech from
Meripex or the pallidotomy surgery I would really appreciate your comments.

Thank you in advance,

Geralyn M. Schulz, Ph.D.
Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders
University of Florida
P.O. Box 117420  465 Dauer Hall
Gainesville, FL 32611-7240
Phone: 352-392-2041