Mary, you made some good points, I am going to make some comments, from
another point of view.  I am blessed with basically good health, although I am
feeling the normal effects of middle age (pushing 55 fast). I have a job I
started in 1967, and it has always been a challenge, interesting, exciting,
and a learning experience. I travel mostly around South Florida, repairing
copiers, offset printing presses, and related equipment. I meet interesting
people, get a nice company car (Dodge Caravan) a decent salary and many
benefits, so I should be willing to work until age 65, and not complain,
right? WELL, if I could retire tommorrow I would do it in a heartbeat! Here
are the reasons: 1 I coud spend more time with friends and family, especially
my father who will be 81 this month and has advanced PD.  2 I could enjoy my
recently purchased house with a pool, spa, and may other amenities. I have
never been in the pool yet! 3. I could pursue my hobbies, which have been on
the back burner for a long time.  4 I could read the whole Parkinsns list in
one sitting. 5 I could read the piles of newspapers and magazines and books,
waiting for my attention. 6 I could see the latest movies BEFORE they become
classics. 7 I could spend more time practicing my religion.  8 I could spend
time helping charities that need volunteers. 9. I could at least see more of
my own country, and maybe more of the world, without having to rush home to
get back to work. 10 I could waste time without feeling guilty. 11 I could
write a book.  12 I could help my son start a business, and if my daughter
wants one, her too.  13, I could be a better husband, and do more  things for
and with my wife.
 So that's why I buy lotto tickets,  try to buy the right stocks and funds,
and spend my spare time dreaming of retirement.  I hope I don't have to retire
due to illness or infirmity, but would like to enjoy life as an observer, and
let a younger person have my wonderful job, or an older one, if he/she wants
it!  [log in to unmask]