I recently retired on disability from my position as secretary at the VA
Hospital here in Columbia, Missouri.

I was diagnosed with PD 7 years ago at the age of 50.  My neurologist at
that time said he thought I would be able to work until retirement, which I
would have needed to work until July 2001, when I would have 20 years of
service (and about one month before my  61st birthday).  I had planned to do
this and had no intention of retiring sooner than that.

However, close to two years ago, I began experiencing severe paid in my
right ankle when I walked.  It kept getting worse, and my neurologist had it
x-rayed, thinking I had possibly broken a bone.  The x-rays were negative
for any broken bones.  So, I went to an orthopaedic doctor and he diagnosed
it as posterior tibial dysfunction (which means a tendon deteriorating in my
ankle).  He tried several things, such as an insert for my shoe, a brace
which went to my knee, and cortisone injections.  None of these helped.

I finally went to another orthopaedic doctor and he agreed with the
diagnosis, but did not agree with the type of brace I was using.  He had
different inserts made for my shoes, and tried cortisone injections, which
did not help.  This past summer, the pain got excruciating, and I could not
walk at all and was forced to use a wheelchair.  The doctor finally had a
test done with electrical "shocks" to see if I had a trapped nerve in my
ankle.  The doctor who did this test determined that, indeed, I did have a
trapped nerve.  They stated it was probably caused by the tendon problem.
In August I had surgery for the trapped nerve and could not put ANY weight
on it for 3-4 weeks, then very limited for another month. I was in a wheel
chair for 4 months all of the time, then progressed to using a walker.

When I was off work for my surgery, I found that, even while recuperating
 from surgery, I felt so much better when I did not have the stress of
getting ready and to work and then working for 8 (at least) hours and then
getting home.  So, while I was off work from the surgery, I wrestled with
this and made my decision to apply for disability retirement.  I went in and
talked to my service chief and assistant chief.  They were sorry to see me
leave, but agreed that this was no doubt the best thing for me, as they knew
the struggle I had been having to keep on working.

This was one of the most difficult things I have ever had to do, and this
decision was made with lots of discussion and praying with my husband.  He
is still working and we have our 15-1/2 year old granddaughter living with
us. She had been having lots of problems while living with her mother and we
felt that the only chance we had to get her straightened out, both in her
personal life and in school, was to have her with us and try to get her
straightened out.  This has been a real challenge for us, but she is doing
much better now.,  We have not gotten any calls this year from school
concerning disciplinary problems.  She has had 2 in school detentions this
year (for being tardy to class).  We don't worry too much about tardy
detentions, at least we don't get reports of her getting in fights or
talking back to teachers, lack of cooperation, etc. etc.

After I made my decision and gave my notice, I felt like the weight of the
world had lifted from my shoulders.  I had LOTS of sick leave accrued (870+
hours), so therefore I went on sick leave in September and did not work
after that.  As the Government is so "speedy", my disability was finally
approved effective February 13.  (I ran out of sick leave on February 12.  I
had to use 13.75 hours of my annual leave (vacation) to finish out the week.

I can still type on my computer and I have advertised to do typing from my
home.  That way, I can rest when I need to.  I have done some typing and
hope to get more.

This has been a very big change in my life, but I love it so far.  When
working, I coordinated the VA Choir at our hospital (and also played the
piano for them).  I am still doing this, so this gives me contact with the
choir members (who are like part of our family) for rehearsal every week.
We will be singing on the 20th of this month for the dedication of a new
ambulatory care addition to the hospital.  We will also be singing for the
Federal Women's Program on the 27th of this month.  I am also still very
active in my Americal Business Womens Association chapter.

I will have to be careful not to get myself too involved in any more things.
I enjoy this mail group very much and am looking forward to hearing from
many of you.

Mary Watkins ([log in to unmask])