L.M. Jenkins wrote:

> My Dad was advised by his consultant here in the UK to follow a low
> protein diet. Can anyone tell me if there's a good place to look on the
> web for suggested foods etc..?

Dear Lee,Nearly all foods contain some protein, even vegetables. If your
Dad's physician has suggested the "evening protein" plan, then he should
have no more than 10 grams of protein during the daytime hours. All other
protein should be eaten at the evening meal.

Dietitians tend to prefer the 7:1 protein plan -- this is a ratio of 7
parts carbohydrate to one part protein. It allows small amounts of protein
throughout the day, in meals and snacks.

Foods highest in protein are meat, poultry, fish, cheese, cottage cheese,
milk and eggs. Pulses and legumes have considerable protein, but also have
quite a lot of carbohydrate, as well as fiber (important if constipation is
present). Breads contain a bit of protein, but are high in carbohydrate -
it would be best to choose wholemeal breads for the fiber. Vegetables don't
have much protein, but it does add up. Fruits contain almost no protein at
all.

A good milk substitute that's available in most countries is Rice Dream. Be
sure to get the kind that is fortified with calcium and vitamin D, as these
will be important for bone strength.

My very best regards to you and your Dad,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
"Nutrition you can live with!"