Hi Debbie;
I'm just a mechanic so all drug names and dr. talk are pretty much
greek to me.  I need all the help I can get when it comes to
understanding prescriptions.  I never heard of Ativan before it was
mentioned in this List, but now I looked it up on the web and have a
minute inkling.   I suggest the Rxmed site to read for oneself the
prescribing information for any drug on the formulary lists
(selected, preferred therapeutic agents).  After you read the
information you may be somewhat better prepared to discuss the
situation with the attending professional but remember these guys
went to school for several years to learn their profession.  What I'm
trying to say is a coupla minutes on the internet won't make you an
expert.  But every little bit helps. See below to find website.

> > Thanks for your posts. Mom seems to be more stablized today. They did
> > prescribe ativan, which i guess made her pretty out of it yesterday. i
> > encouraged my dad to talk to the doctors and find out if that is the best
> > thing to take long'term, if so can she take a smaller dose, or if there's a
> > better alternative.
> > Does anyone know exactly what ativan does for nerves, parkinsons, etc.?
>
> My mother was given ativan one evening in the hospital and she was "out of it"
> for about 24 hours, could not stay awake, so the doctor withdrew it. I did check
> later on the pharmacology sites and one site, can't remember which, noted that a
> consumers group is trying to restrict the use of ativan for elderly patients. I
> no longer have my notes so can't recall the specifics. But I think I would try
> to get more information if they are planning to prescribe it long term.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Jan

RxMed Prescribing Information Web Site is found at:

http://www.rxmed.com/prescribe.html

then click on "a" for Ativan; then scroll down to Ativan;

click on Ativan and you wind up at:

http://www.rxmed.com/monographs/ativan.html

I hope this helps answer your questions about this drug or at least
offers a base to discuss Ativan with your doctor.

Regards.................Murray
.
PS:  List Members might want to Bookmark the rxmeds site as a handy
free resource.
I print out the prescribing information for the drug(s) I am taking
and put it in a binder and take it with me when I travel.  A card in
my wallet informs of the presence of the binder.  Other info in the
binder is that I have Parkinson's; timing and dosage of my meds;
blood type, business cards from my gp; neuro; dentist; next of kin;
etc.  This information might be necessary should one be in an
accident in a foreign country and be unable to speak............
. .