> ---------------
> To the List Members...
>
> Can anyone please explain to a bewildered person (me) in simple terms how
> it is possible through DNA testing to find the birth mother of an
> individual when virtually nothing is known about the mother, including her
> nationality or country where she resides.

  DNA testing is used by matching the DNA of two people .. the closer the
  relationship the closer the DNA bands match. Identical twins will have
  an identical pattern. Children & Parents have similar patterns - with
  differnt sections matching one parent or the others pattern.
  That is how it is used to confirm maternity/paternity.

  So if a stranger walked in and said she was your mother - DNA testing
  could be used to confirm/refute that to within 99+% confidence levels
  if you both donated blood to test.

  Having only one person's blood - the only way to "find" a match is
  if by chance the other person also had DNA work done and it was stored in
  a database somewhere (like FBI fingerprint databases can be searched).

  I don't know if any do - but iff an adoption registry stored DNA tests
  and the birth mother had her results stored there ... then the adoptee's
  could be searched ? But i've never heard of this being done...

  But since - like fingerprints - most of us don't have our DNA patterns in
  a database anywhere ... its highly unlikely to "find" another person.

  Hope this anwers your question a little ...

  donna

-                  Donna Bassolino-Klimas,  Ph.D.
                   Bristol Myers Squibb Pharma. Res. Inst.
                   Department of Macromolecular Structure
                   P.O. Box 4000    Room H3812
                   Princeton, N.J.  08543 4000