hi murray

you wrote:
>Hi janet;
>Your post about the searchable archive finally got me to go
>there.......What a marvellous resource!!  I encourage others
>to at least look at this so they might also appreciate what
>has been given to all of us ...... and for free!!

the techno miracle of the day 'gave' us the medium - the internet
barb patterson 'gave' us the facility - the list
but the messages are not 'given' to us -
we 'give' them to ourselves

that's one of the reasons
i post so many news articles [vaguely brain-related sometimes!]
[search using the criteria: news AND janet paterson]
and medical studies
[search using the criteria: pmid AND janet paterson]
[or just pmid]

pmid =
PubMed IDentification number

PubMed =
the collection of all published medical studies
[formerly accessible by doctors only through MedLine for a fee]
now available to the general public as provided free on the web
by the US National Library of Medicine at:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/

i have been 'digging' at pubmed since its creation in june 1997
and have recently noted a big improvement/expansion

i used to search for new articles on pd 'for the past 30 days'
and came up with maybe 10-20 articles per month

i did a similar search last week
and was amazed to find 117 articles!!

i have downloaded all of them
and will 'feed' them to the list slowly
so as not to overwhelm you all

but overwhelmed is the right word for the way i feel:
imagine!
117 published studies directly related to pd
published during the past 30 days
from facilities around the world
instantly accessible
to everyone!

this is another reason why
i remain extremely optimistic about our shared condition
and count the archives as a miraculous resource
which only gets better with time

some day some one may do some digging there
and come up with an 'aha!' connection
whether it applies to one or all of us
doesn't matter

as i have said before
sending a message to our listserv computer family
is like planting a seed

>> since the archives on the host computer in the university of toronto
>> contain every message ever posted to our list
>> since its creation in november 1993
>> [now that's a scary thought!]
>> there is a wealth of information to be found / dug up
>> http://new.parkinsons.org.uk/index.htm
>janet, Ya done a good thing by inviting me to "dig for it".
>Thank you very much for bringing my attention to this
>searchable archive.
>Best regards ......................... Murray 53 / 4

i am an incurable snoop and digger and "archyologist"
[try a search on "archyology" at our archives and see what pops up!]
and am thrilled to bits to find another convert!

your cybyr-sys in archyology

janet

janet paterson
50-9 / sinemet-selegiline-prozac
almonte-ontario-canada / [log in to unmask]