Marvin, Marvin

Don't despair

The advice regarding foods to avoid with MAO inhibitors only applies to the
antidepressants which are MAO-A inhibitors (which are things like
Nardil(Phenelzine), Parnate & Parstelin (Tranylcypromine) Arima/Aurorix
(Moclobemide). These drugs may have different names in other countries -
these are the Australian names, but I have put the generic name in ( ).

 Selegiline/Eldepryl/Deprenyl is an MAO-B inhibitor and when it is taken in
therapeutic levels, that is no more than 5 mg twice a day (total 10) it is
perfectly safe to eat those foods.  No one should be taking more than this
dose anyway, so it should never be a problem.

Having said that about Selegiline, one DOES have to be very careful about
other drug/drug interactions.  For example other types of antidepressants,
including selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRI's) and
serotonin-noradrenealine-reuptake inhibitos (SNRI's) should NOT be used
with Selegiline. These are: Prozac (Fluoexitine), Luvox (Fluvoxamine),
Serzone (Nefazadone), Aropax (Paroxetine), Zoloft (Sertraline), Efexor
(Venlafaxine).

And of course the analgesic Pethidine (called Meperidine and Demerol in the
USA) should NEVER be used with Selegiline.

It is important that PWP carry this information with them - preferably wear
it on a medic alert bracelet -  because you never know when you may have an
accident and be given Pethidine without consultation...

I am getting this information off our Australian brochure called "Drugs to
be Given with Caution to People with Parkinson's Disease."  Second edition
Sept 1997.

I know many of you already know this, but it is important for newer list
members to be warned.

Sincerely

Joy Graham