>Harold wrote about the difficulty of typing without getting double
>letters, etc.  He may already know about setting the accessibility
>features of the computer; but if not, there is one that slows down the
>typing, with a time set for each key click.  You can also set a beeper
>to go off when the key has been properly engaged

As well as unwanted repeating letters, I find that I have little feeling in
my finger-tips now, and that if I relied on touch to tell me if a key is
pressed down far enough, I often miss out letters, and have to go back and
insert them.  (I am not, needless to say, a 'touch typist'. <grin>)

Using the setting below, I can type faster and more accurately, since my
brain registers the 'click' from the PC's speaker (the one in the CPU unit,
not plug-in speakers) and I know to continue to the next key.

The settings I use with Windows 95 are:
1. START button/(S)ettings/(C)ontrol panel/Accessibility options
2. Use (f)ilter keys/S(e)ttings
3. (B)eep when keys pressed or accepted/I(g)nore quick key strokes and slow
down the repeat rate/ S(e)ttings
4. (S)low down keyboard repeat rates/Repeat (d)elay/Short/Repeat
(r)ate/Short/Keys must be held down for: /Short
5. OK/OK/OK.

This sets the keys to 'click' when contact is made when pressing, sets the
repeat delay to 0.30 secs, sets the key repeat rate to 0.30 secs, and sets
the time keys must be held down before registering to 0.00 secs.

This is  the perfect setting for me.  People who have less control of their
hands, and find these settings too short, might like to make the repeat
delay and repeat rate longer, or even to turn the repeat facility off
altogether, as:

3.  (B)eep when keys pressed or accepted/Ign(o)re repeated keystrokes
4. OK/OK.

Sorry, I can't help non-PC users.

Jim Slattery - [log in to unmask]
Central West PD Web