Perry Sennewald wrote:

> My wife is PWP[70/0.5] and also has Type II diabetes[noninsulin dependent].
>  Do we have other son the PARKINSN LIST with this combination?  If so, I
> would appreciate hearing from you  as I would like to know if there are any
> interactions due to medications and/or diet.

Dear Perry,It would help if you would list all the medications your wife uses,
including over-the-counter (non-prescription) medicines. Some medications for
diabetes are quite different from others.

> For example, a short time
> back there was a flurry of anecdotal reports on the LISTof bad experiences
> with Nutrasweet[aspartame],

I counsel my clients against use of aspartame, as so much anecdotal information
of adverse reactions has accumulated. I think it's best to be on the safe side.
Diet drinks are a non-food, and as such may present an extra struggle for the
body to deal with, when it's already trying to cope with PD and various
medications.

Your wife has been recently diagnosed, so probably is not having on-off
fluctuations. If this does begin to occur, a protein-adjusted menu plan may
help. This is of concern with diabetes, as the menu is quite high in
carbohydrates, and her diabetes medications may have to be adjusted at that
time.

Meantime, a daily menu that's high in fiber, along with regular physical
activity, such as a daily walk, may help to control her blood sugar. You might
also ask her physician if s/he has heard of the research using chromium
picolinate in pharmacological amounts to lower blood sugar. Some feel that the
chromium has fewer side effects than most diabetes medications, and less chance
of interfering with other medications. However, this may not apply to people
with PD; it's a relatively new area, and one her physician may interested to
look into.

My very best regards to you and your wife,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
"Nutrition you can live with!"