I'm jumping in late on this topic, so my apologies if this angle has already
been covered, but I didn't see it. Why would we have to worry about viruses
when we have anti-virus programs? I would think most, or many,  of us have
them.  I've always used one called McAfee.  It used to find them all the
time. After it finds one it gets rid of it.*  I think it may have become
pro-active - not even letting them in.  Norton** is another.  I installed a
financial program and it came with another one, Dr.Solomon's Ant-Virus.  My
McAfee came installed on my computer and every month or so it sends me an
e-mail asking if I want it to download its latest.  If you don't have one
you can buy it on-line and download it for $29.95.  I just checked; it's on
sale.  I believe you can download a 30 day trial version for free, but I'm
not sure. McAfee is at www.nai.com . They just got bought out.
www.mcafee.com still works.  Pretty basic stuff, but maybe this is info to
someone out there.
*McAfee did find one it couldn't purge. It was in the "root directory" of my
son's brand new Gateway, inadvertently introduced while transferring files.
It took a whole weekend of calls to McAfee, Gateway (excellent company) and
a visit by a consultant to get it out.  So there is some reason to be
careful.  But you do miss out on a lot of outstanding Bubba jokes if you
only download from people you know.
**I've read Norton's programs slow down your computer, but not sure if it's
their anti-virus or something else they sell.
   I wonder if anything's been written on why these people do it.  It seem
like they're motivated by little more than were the kids who used to "tag"
NYC subway cars with spray paint.
Bruce Anderson (52,3+)
Schooley's Mtn., NJ