On Sun, 15 Mar 1998 22:39:35 EST Ken Becker <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>! In regards to setting up a webpage, I have some elementary
>questions. 1.
>If I set up a webpage on AOL, is it going to require any software
>other than
>what AOL supplies.

Dear Ken, it shouldnt require anything other than what aol provides. I
had aol eons ago, and did set up a page but I found it to be a pain in
the you know where to do so. It was a mediocre page to me to say the
least. You will have much better luck going to geocities
http://www.geocities.com, or angelfire http://www.angelfire.com and going
thru the process there. In geocities,  you will need to learn some html
to use 2 if thier page editors, but I have some on disk (html) and can
help with that. There are also tutorials in geocities that will hep with
things like uploading, guestbooks, and counters

 2. How do I go about inserting pictures I have
>scanned
>using my flatbed color scanner, onto the page.

aol should have upload utility in personal publisher, to be frank, I cant
remember, it was more than a year ago when I created my aol page

 3. If I wanted to offer
>some
>items for sale, is there any legal restriction, assuming they are
>legal items.
>In other words, will AOL have a problem with it?

I am not sure about this, I do know that aol has a classified ads
section, I think they KW is classified. As to advertising on your page,
you should have an agreement to read. Geocities will not let you sell
things on thier pages, they are for personal use only.

  4 If people use
>search
>engines from other Internet service  providers, will they find my
>website on
>AOL, or do they have to be subscribers to AOL?

I have viewed aol users pages from my isp/browser, and I no longer have
aol, my isp is bellsouth.net. It will help when you  are done with your
page to register it with some of the more popular search engines such as
link exchange, lycos, and yahoo. Helps get the traffic to your site <G>

 5. Can I make changes
>to my
>webpage easily, and does it have to be made inaccessible while I am
>making
>changes?

Hmmm I dont think I understand what you mean. Do you mean like 'open
edit'? I think it is inaccessable during that time, and will be until you
are done, press "save" and then reload the page. I do all my editing
after midnight BTW, when web traffic is down and less people come in to
visit

  Thanks for any information you can give me!  Hope you get
>all the
>help you need for the PWP in your family.

Thanks so much Ken, and I hope this information is of some use to you.

CatherineLambe

"What is life, but a great big learning experience?"