>He said that it seems that people who smoke are less apt
>to end up with PD.  He  strongly emphasized that no one should smoke for
this
>reason.  Smoking will kill you.

Statistically, people who have smoked in their life are represented in low
numbers amongst PD sufferers.

This doesn't mean that smoking will/could protect you against PD, nor does
it mean that if you have PD, you should smoke.

In fact, you stand a statistically better chance of dying from lung cancer
or cardio-vascular disease, instead of PD.  This *may* be the reason for the
low incidence of smokers among PD sufferers, but it may well be that the
smokers did not live long enough to get PD.

If there is any validity in the figures, it appears to be the nicotine
content of the smoking that might have some influence on PD, and, as has
been mentioned here by others, there are less harmful ways of ingesting
nicotine, such as nicotine chewing gum and dermal patches.

However, insufficient research has been done regarding the connection, and
there is a danger, as with other theories, that inept researchers may
"prove" a connection that is really only bad statistics.  The only way one
could be fairly positive that there was a connection, would be a study using
Parkies and age/sex matched control subjects in a broad-based survey.
Numbers would have to be about 200 parkies and 400 controls to be
statistically meaningful.  The results would have to show, for example, that
say 50% of the controls had smoked regularly, but that only say 20% of
Parkies had smoked, and/or that of the Parkies, those who smoked after
diagnosis were measurably less effected by PD symptoms than those who
didn't.  So far as I am aware, no such vetted research has been done.

But even if such a connection were shown to exist, one would still need
laboratory-based "double-blind" research to finally answer the question.

Nicotine is a drug and a poison in sufficient quantities (it is used as an
insecticide!( and I would urge Parkies not to rush into experimenting with
dermal patches et al.  One result of frequent intake of nicotine can be
tardive dyskinesia, a condition characterised by loss of muscle control
leading to involuntary facial and head movements and excessive salivating.
And that is something Parkies *don't* need!

In small doses, nicotine is a stimulant acting on the autonomic nervous
system, and promoting the production of adrenaline (epinephrine) amongst
other substances, and I think Parkies are only too aware of the unfortunate
effects that adrenaline can have of their condition.  In larger doses, it
can paralyse the autonomic nervous system by preventing the transmission of
nerve impulses across the spaces between nerve cells.

So, in Parky terms, a small amount of nicotine can cause dyskinesia, and a
larger amount can cause "freezing"!

BUT, nicotine is used commercially by chemists as one source of nicotinic
acid (niacin, or vitamin B3) which is made by oxidation of Nicotine.

B3 is a necessary ingredient in human nutrition, and can be obtained
naturally from, for example, grains, nuts, meat and fish.  Two of the
symptoms caused by a deficiency of vitamin B3 are clinical depression  and
mental disturbances.  The body can also make niacin from tryptophane, an
essential human amino-acid, the building blocks of proteins, hormones, and
the genes.

So it is possible, and I reiterate only possible, that nicotine could be
implicated in an intricate chemical dance in that most complex of chemical
factories, the brain.  It probably needed the huge commitment of the Udall
Bill to spur researchers into undertaking the great adventure of explaining
the place of that 'factory' in both the contraction and treatment of PD.

For myself, I feel instinctively that there will be a relatively simple
answer to an enormously complex question, and that that answer will also
lead to insights into Alzheimers, motor-neurone disease, multiple-system
atrophy, and related conditions.

Here's looking to the future!

Jim

[59/13 Sinemet, Eldepryl]