^^^^^^WARM GREETINGS  FROM^^^^^^^^^^
Ivan Suzman  48/10         [log in to unmask]
Portland, Maine, USA      land of lighthouses   20  deg. F   Bright
moonshadows on the snow
Dear Friends,

    I am writing to share with you some hopeful news from Portland,
Maine. We have started a promising,
fingers-crossed-for-good-luck-adventure with tolcapone (Tasmar).  We
began on Wednesday, March 11th. The pharmacist finally got a supply, and
thinks that Medicaid will pay for it.

    Just ONE FOURTH OF A TABLET (25 mg) of Tasmar, added to 125 mg. of
Sinemet (50 mg of yellow 25/100 plus 75 mg of pink, football-shaped
25/100 CR), extends my typical on-time of 80 to 110 minutes, to anywhere
from 180 to 280 minutes ( 4 hours and 40 minutes )!  The wearing-off
period is less sudden. I get just a little bit drowsy, so I drink some
sweetened coffee a short while after it kicks in.  The slight drowsiness
then disappears.

     Yesterday, I was able to go driving the '88 Chevy Blazer in stormy
weather..  Using four-wheel drive over snowy roads, I visited a sick
friend whom I had not seen since October, stopped at a corner store, did
some shopping, drove back home, and did a little house-cleaning.   I did
not get cold, even though it was snowing, and the northeast wind was
blowing like crazy.  Jay traveled with me.  I did ALL of  the driving.

      Today, I was able to spend hours with Jennie and Nicky (Jay's
daughter and son, 14 and 9), who were here, visiting us for the weekend.
I didn't get tired out. Everyone who drops by is amazed at how smoothly I
seem to be functioning on Tasmar.

     But, the carbidopa/levodopa pills (Sinemet 25/100 and Sinemet
CR25/100) need to be reduced.  I am experiencing a new dyskinesia, along
with a "hot" feeling, for unpredictable lengths of time, long after
swallowing the 25 mg of Tasmar. Probably my dose frequency and my dose
amounts both need adjustment.

     My usual 1400 mg/ 24 hr is already down to 900 mg.  My doctor wants
me to start two Tasmar doses per day as soon as I can. Eventually, I may
be able to tolerate 3 doses a day.

     My Question Is:

     Would you ( PWP's and CG's) please describe your experiences in
REDUCING YOUR SINEMET DOSES (or your MADOPAR) WHILE FILTERING IN TASMAR
DOSES?

      I hope this question is of interest to many listmembers.  Thank you
for sharing.

Ivan Suzman  :-)