Hello everyone,

Unless it slipped by me, I don't think news about the death of Bill Reid has
been noted on the list. Bill Reid was a Parkinsonian and an outstanding
Haida artist. He died yesterday at age 78. An outstanding carver, Reid is
credited with saving the aritistic tradition of the Haida people. He became
famous for the revival of contemporary Haida pole carving, for his
printmaking and jewelry in gold and silver and for his monumental bronze
sculptures. One of his most famous works is the bronze sculpture, The Canoe,
at the Canadian embassy in Washington.

Bill Reid brought prominence both to the preservation of native culture on
the West Coast and Parkinson's awareness in Canada.

His artistry and craftsmanship will be a lasting legacy to his people and
his country.

Peter

Peter Kidd
Learning Materials Consulting Services
62 Coronation Avenue, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3N 2M6 Canada
Tel/FAX: (902) 443-4262 Email: [log in to unmask]