Dear Colleagues,
         I've recently exchanged a posting or two off-line regarding the PD
tremor but since the issue has come up on-line I thought it worth while to
comment on-line. As is so often stated there are no two PWP with the exact
same symptom /solution profile. I have, apparently, an unusual  response to
lifting weights [either free weights or machine] and in my positive,
calming response to a fairly vigerous exercise program.
       Typically I go to the gym every other day and my routine is
something like this:
       15-20 minutes on stationary bike with light resistance
       10-15 minutes of stretching, push ups, "push George off the ball" [for
                  balance] etc.
        20-25 minutes on the machines
        10-15 minutes of a vigerous game [solo] of kick ball
        10 minutes in the deep water pool just floating around

       In addition I try to walk up to 2 miles a day, half of it done backwards.

       My response to the weights is to feel very calm; with my residual
resting tremor steady and my familial tremor likewise. Tired, yes but
tremulous, no. At least not for the next hour or two. But when I feel my
best is the moment I turn around and start walking backwards. This
wonderful sense of calmness decends over me and I can feel my muscles
relaxing.
Two plus years ago I couldn't walk a step and look at me now!

      Following my 2nd Pallidotomy I was afraid to do anything  vigerous
for fear that I would break but that has passed and I can now get a good
daily workout
      I'm not recommending what I do for anyone else but I would encourage
PWP AND their families to challenge themselves in some way.
      My best
          george