Dear Listmembers,

The relation between smoking and PD has been  consistently found during
many years. Some years ago I did ask my neuro whether he had any thoughts
about that.  He said it was his impression  that  PWP's  had less
tendency to get hooked on whatever stuff  in the first place.  So the
causality in the relation might be just the other way round. People who
have a tendecy to get PD don't have the same reaction  as other people to
dependecy-creating  stuffs and because of that don't like them so much.

This same question, how to explain the obvious negative relation between
smoking and  PD was during the last months of 1996 the subject of many
mails on the list. At that time I was in a rather bad shape and talking
it over with friends, we were convinced it couldn't  do much harm to try
a nicotine patch. So I bought one and tried it. The story about the
results seems to me characteristic of PD. At first the results were
marvelous ( I got my handwriting from my pre-Parkinson life back) but
within a few days the results disappeared. So I stopped with the patches
and after a week tried one again, but now without any result and later
trials neither had any success.  I told this on the next visit to my
neuro. His comment was that Parkinson  never stopped to produce riddles.
He had witnessed in his practice a similar story.

An other patient had told him her symptoms had astonishingly decreased
and she credited  that to flagyl, a gynaecological anti -infective,
because the disappearence of Parkinson symptoms had been coningent on her
using this. The neuro and the other doctor who had prescribed the drug
consented she would not stop using it when it had finished its
anti-infective task. But allas; soon the PD symptoms were back with the
same strength. Just like I did with the patches, she too tried it later
again, but without any result.

Now that I am writing this I looked for flagyl in my meds book and it
mentions neurological side effects  as vertigo and ataxia and the same
effects as disulfiram ( a med. that is used by alcoholics to prevent
drinking ) .

Now about smoking. An outcome of the neurophysiological research on the
function  of dopamine is that next to the role in movement, dopamine has
yet another role. It has a function in being able to experience positive
feelings. It makes that the rewards in life can be experienced as such.
Feeling positively excited is correlated with a heightened level of
dopamine in a certain part (the nucleus accumbens) in the brain.

This is in accordance wth the  frequency of depression  in PWP's.  Drugs,
that can cause addiction do all bind to dopamine receptors and cause a
heightening of the available dopamine. If  that is not possible because
dopamine is lacking these drugs don't give a kick at all. That might be
an explanation for the fact that future PWP's don't smoke. Their disposal
of dopamine has been low for  many years before the disease is manifest.
And if this is the whole story it makes no sense to start smoking to
prevent  Parkinson.

Regards, Ida Kamphuis, Holland

</bigger></fontfamily>

Vriendelijke Groeten / Kind regards,

Ida Kamphuis                            mailto: [log in to unmask]