To Listmembers,
A study published recently, in the news today, points up a concern I
have for people with PD. In the pilot study I completed last year, very
few people ingested even the current RDA for vitamin D (5 mcg).
Recommendations for vitamin D for adults over age 50 are now double the
RDA -- 10 mcg; and this amount is being debated and may be raised in
future, as the study suggests. In the study just published, study
subjects were found to have low serum levels of vitamin D. This is of
special concern to people with PD, as some may fall, and falling
increases risk for bone fracture if the bones are weakened.

I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that calcium cannot
be absorbed without sufficient vitamin D.  An hour or so in the sunlight
weekly, exposing the face and arms, may provide enough. Foods rich in D
may be a problem for people with PD, as they are mostly high in protein
-- eggs, fortified milk, as well as fortified margarine. Fortified milk
is the most common source in the U.S.,  and many people with PD find
that milk halts levodopa absorption.

If regular exposure to sunlight is not possible, I encourage you to use
fortified milk alternatives, fortified cereals, or speak with your
physician about a supplement. With regard to the article, the amount of
800 IUs mentioned is not necessarily universally recommended for all
older adults. You should speak with your physician to determine the
right amount for you.

To access the news article online:

http://www.intelihealth.com/news?174580

My best regards,