Hi Emily,
I don't happen to take Eldepryl or Mirapex (I'm on Tasmar & Sinemet
CR) but I like the tone of Mary's letter.  I couldn't agree more re:
"Part of a doctor's job is listening." and " it's totally appropriate for mouthy
wives to spout medical stuff. You go for it, Girl!"  We only see our
doctors or neuros a few times a year and thus their expertise is
based on a very small exposure to our unique Parkinson's.  We have to
become our own full time monitors and we need to be informed
enough to decide ourselves (in consultation with your professional
medical practitioner of course) when to start/alter a regimen of
drugs.  Be informed and alert to any drug related positives and
negatives and/or side effects so you will be able to consult and have
an  active role in adjusting medication to suit you!

I'm not suggesting you surf the web and then start quoting to your
doctor/neuro.  Of course they would be insulted and offended.  In
general, trust your dr. far beyond any advice you get on the web
but don't blindly accept anything without an explanation!

Be prepared whenever you meet with your dr.   Make a list of your
feelings and your questions and participate actively.  Don't leave
until you are satisfied you fully understand and agree with your
treatment!

> Hi Emily,
>
> I am also taking Eldepryl and Mirapex.  My neuro at the Parkinson's Institute
> in California has prescribed only 5 mg of Eldepryl, which she says is
> sufficient to produce a neuroprotective effect.  I have been taking Eldepryl
> (plus Vitamins C and D) for over two years with hardly any progression of my
> symptoms.  In November I added Mirapex which improved my balance.  (I can now
> do all the steps in my aerobics dance class, even the ones I used to fudge on
> before I started Mirapex.)
>
>  Part of a doctor's job is listening. If Jim is happy with the dosage he's
> taking and doing well with it, the doctor should be happy to have him
> continue.  As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Maybe Jim should
> consider seeing one of the other neuros in the group.
>
> BTW, I think it's totally appropriate for mouthy wives to spout medical stuff.
> You go for it, Girl!
>
> Mary Sheehan

The very best to all of you,  Mary, Jim & Emily

Murray 53/4
.