Chuck Mcdonald wrote...

My mother-in-law underwent  an hip replacement operation about 10 days
ago. My wife went to visit her yesterday and came home very depressed
because it is not the mother that she knows. Her mother was saying bad
things about the nurses, for example, which is completely out of
character. She was also hallucinating. Actually seeing things that did
not exist - such as a crown of forsythia in her daughter's hair. There
are other problems such as her lack of desire to do her exercises and
rehabilitate
herself but he most distressing part of the visit was the hallucinations
and her mental state.  She is taking her Parkinson's medication and
blood thinners and obviously was under general anaesthetic about 10 days
ago. Is her mental state Parkinson's, drug interactions, or what. It's
hard to get information from her DR because the orthopaedic surgeon
doesn't know about Parkinson's , etc. It's a vicious circle. We are
concerned but don't know where to turn. We live 100 miles away and my
wife's father seems too accepting of the condition and doesn't want to
press the doctors.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

        My dad had AWFUL reactions to morphine when he was in with his hip.
Couldn't take Demerol because he was then on Eldepryl, but the morphine
turned him from his normal charming Dr. Jekyl into a nasty uncooperative Mr.
Hyde.  I'd suspect that drug interactions or intolerances could well be the
source of the problem.

        Linda Corson