In message <[log in to unmask]> "Parkinson's Information
Exchange" writes:
> Chuck Mcdonald wrote...
>
> My mother-in-law underwent  an hip replacement operation about 10 days
> ago. My wife went to visit her yesterday and came home very depressed
> because it is not the mother that she knows. Her mother was saying bad
> things about the nurses, for example, which is completely out of
> character. She was also hallucinating. Actually seeing things that did
> not exist - such as a crown of forsythia in her daughter's hair. There
> are other problems such as her lack of desire to do her exercises and
> rehabilitate
> herself but he most distressing part of the visit was the hallucinations
> and her mental state.
>
>         My dad had AWFUL reactions to morphine when he was in with his hip.
> Couldn't take Demerol because he was then on Eldepryl, but the morphine
> turned him from his normal charming Dr. Jekyl into a nasty uncooperative Mr.
> Hyde.  I'd suspect that drug interactions or intolerances could well be the
> source of the problem.

And add one more to the list. Exactly the same thing happened with my mother
when she had a near stroke. They also gave her morphine at one point. Then after
being totally off Parkinsons medications for three days she started on full dose
and that night had terrible hallucinations and personality change.  It is
clearly the related to medications--and it seems many doctors are not aware of
the possibility. Surely there is some way to avoid it, and even if there isn't,
it makes a big difference if you are prepared for it! I know our doctor had no
idea this was a problem many parkinsons patients have. I only discovered later
that it is not uncommon. The nurses tried to tell us it was because of her age,
but I have read of young patients on parkinsons medications having the same
reaction.

It is so frightening to watch your loved ones experience these changes, but it
is easier to maintain a balance if we understand it is the medications. My
father kept trying to reason with my mother and then eded up angry and
frustrated and blaming her, not realizing it was the medications that was
changing her behavior. It took me a while to even realize she was having
hallucinations.  Everyone should be made aware of the possibility of this
happening!!

Jan