There are very strict and clearly defined guidelines re: spending down,
eligibility for Medicaid for NH, and they are changed often, so it would be
wise to get the latest info. Check with a social worker in a senior center
or organization serving seniors--they probably know, and it's cheaper than
an atty!  Basically, the at-home spouse of a couple is allowed to keep the
residence, one car, and other assets in her/his name--the amounts were
revised since I read them. Also, I believe that now when a person whose NH
care was covered by Medicaid dies, the government will try to recover the
expenses paid from her/his estate (if any).  It gets pretty complex, and
the gap between "giving away assets" and claiming aid gets longer all the
time. While it may seem unfair that there are these restrictions, remember
the enormous cost involved to society; if folks didn't use some of their
own assets we'd all pay more in taxes, after all!

We feel very lucky that we had bought long term care insurance for BOTH of
us a short time before Peter had any idea he had PD!  While it is too late
for someone already diagnosed, well-spouses should consider getting LTC
ins. for themselves, in case of future need....just a thought. It's not
cheap, but could be well worth it, and the newer policies now cover in-home
care as well as NH.  There are many published guidelines for how to
evaluate LTC policies--your local Council on Aging would probably have them.

  Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 79/8
  Oxford, OH
 * Ask me about the CARE list for*
 *   Parkinson's caregivers !    *