Dear Janet,
       Both feet are fine. No, I don't have any documentation to back up my
point, at least not  any formal documentation. Didn't think I needed it to
suggest that Ivan stop yelling "fire " in the movie house But if you think
it would help I would be happy to give it some thought. My suggestion is
based on my 25 Plus years as a clinical social worker and my most recent
travels as a public speaker to support groups and others. PWP are a tough
group.
Individually they are as solid as any sub group. Collectively we know crap.
{SEE WASHIMGTON DC}

"if one classified clinical depression as a chronic illness..."

  Major Depression and BIpolor events would  usually be seen as chronic but
not always. If a illness was limited to one, maybe two events and resolved
then it would  unfair to classify that as chronic.

"my hunch [no facts - although i posted a NEWS article about this recently]
is that suicide is a tragic and rampant and wasteful cause of death
among too many people regardless of age
and regardless of illness
or severity thereof"

Of course it is but I'm not sure how "rampant" it is. Certainly the school
cluster suicides and the Jonestowns [ murder/suicide] are tragic but did
they involve PWP? There were something like 35,000 suicides in the USA in
1994 [the last year the CDC has data, I think. You would know better]. That
a base [in many ways] figure and doesn't take in another 70,000 hidden
suicides [ my estimate ] BUT Ivan is talking about young onset PD.

"these remarks sound so unlike you, george,
i'm astonished
unless you intended them as humourous comments
and i'm taking them too seriously"

Deadly serious.

"there has been an interesting range of reactions
from our list family members to your post"

Yes there has and you have seen only the public side. SOME GOOD WILL COME OF IT.
      I will read your repostings on family and think some more on
documentation. Back to you soon and thanks
   My best
   george