Dear Randall,

Most of us have struggled with and sometimes still struggle with when to let
people know that we deal with PD.  I face a dilemna every time I go out on a
date.  Will she notice the mask when I'm off? Will she think I am too
serious or uptight?  Will she think that I am boring because of my low
monotone speech?  Will the dyskinesias be so severe that I throw my water
into her face?  Will she think me rude or paranoid if I tell her up front
that I am troubled by a movement disorder that has no cure?  Or will she
feel sympathetic, but so much so that she doesn't see the real me?  What if
I tell her later?  Will she be offended I was not honest from the beginning?

Over time I have found it is best to be honest about it from the beginning.
If you present it as if there is not a problem, you will find that trying to
hide it does in fact make the symptoms more noticeable.  It is part of
accepting the facts of being a PWP, that people will not all react the same
to our apparent movement problems.  Some will ignore, some will stare, and
some will show concern, and some have the ability to react as if there is
not a problem in that they are able to look beyond the disability to have a
normal conversation with you.  None of these reactions is necessarilly any
more appropriate than the others.  It is just that it is a diverse world we
live in.  People are different in how they see a disabled person.  We are
the ones that adjust if there is a need to adjust.  We have more experience
with it.

I would like to welcome you to the list, and hope you find it as useful as I
do.  It definitely helps to know others who can empathize with you.

Regards,
Greg Leeman 37/7

l-----Original Message-----From: Randall Ford <[log in to unmask]>