"........that is the question".
This well known contribution to the discussion of the merits of
suicide was written +/- 500 years ago.  The discussion has been going
on for as long as humans have had a life to dispose of and a language
to use for the discussion; so I don't think we are going to resolve
the issue on this list at this time.  The subject is however one that
many (possibly even most)  individuals faced with a chronic,
debilitating disorder will need to resolve for themselves at some
point. An open, hopefully non judgemental,  discussion is essential
in the process of making an informed decision.  With that in mind I
offer the following thoughts.

1.  There is a clear destinction between suicide as a result of
clinical depression, and the suicide of a non depressed person faced
with an intolerable situation (though in each case the reprocussions
may be similar).

2.  In the first case suicidal thoughts, possibly culminating in the
actual act of suicide, are a symptom of the disorder.  As such they
are no more subject to moral or ethical judgement than is tremor or
bradykinesia. In this case trying to argue against suicide by
talking, for example, about the devistation it causes in the
surviving family makes as much sense as asking an 'off' PWP to hurry
up.

The death by suicide of a clinically depressed person has, in my
view, the same moral weight as death by heart failure.  Whilst deeply
regretted neither is subject to praise or condemnation.  Equally it
is to be hoped that in each case every step that can be taken to
prevent that outcome has been taken.

3.  It is the second case which is subject to moral and ethical
review.  There may be some who argue that there is no second case and
that no-one 'in their right mind' would kill themselves (the
implication being that anyone committing suicide is by definition
depressed).  But the phrase ' not in their right mind' does not
necessarly mean depressed.  A person trapped by a fire on the 20th
floor is almost certainly 'not in their right mind' as the flames
approach, neither are they in their 'right situation'. The change of
circumstances imposes a change of criteria and a decision that makes
no sense under normal circumstances(ie to jump from a 20th floor
window) may be perfectly undestandable under the threat of being
burnt to death.  People with a chronic, debilitating disorder, are
faced with just such a criteria altering situation and consequently
should have the right to discuss the pros and cons of suicide without

being shouteddown or accused of cowardice, moral or otherwise.

Those in this situation cannot, however, avoid the fact that they do
not operate in a vacuum and that whatever their decision is it is
going to effect other people. Escaping pain and suffering in this way
seems to enevitably cause it in those nearest and dearest us.  In one
case I know of, a death by suicide in 1946 is still affecting the
lives of great grand children in 1998.  That is a terrible legacy to
leave and I believe one would need some powerful motivation before
choosing to leave it.

The debate still rages as to whether or not we have the right to end
our lives at a time of our own choosing.  Whatever the outcome we
will still have the resposibility and duty not to inflict
unneccessary  pain and suffering on our families.  I guess the debate
will still be raging when 'Hamlet' reaches +/- 1000.

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 48/11
http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/