hi all

this excerpt addresses the issues around being visible or invisible
aka
to be seen or not to be seen
[sorry dennis]

janet

At the early stages of Parkinson's disease, most individuals are physically
and cognitively able to continue participating in nearly all social,
vocational, and recreational activities.

Some patients tend to withdraw from activities due to embarrassment about
their symptoms, especially tremor.

In the early stages of their illness, some patients are afraid to let others
know that they have Parkinson's disease, and they devote significant effort to
hiding their symptoms.

Attempting to conceal symptoms can lead to increased anxiety, which in turn
can cause an increase in the symptoms of Parkinson's disease.

Those patients who have been able to inform others about their illness, its
symptoms, and treatment tend to be the individuals who cope best at the early
stages.

Case summaries of two individuals with an early stage parkinsonism who used
vastly different strategies in terms of coping with their Parkinson's disease
illustrate this issue.

Both of these individuals were college professors in their late fifties.

The first person readily accepted her Parkinson's disease.

She often took the opportunity to tell others about it and emphasized that it
was not a major issue for her.

In this example, the patient used the emotional strategy of coping by
accepting her condition.

On the first day of the semester, she would inform her class,'I have
Parkinson's disease.

'It is usually well controlled by the medications I am taking, but some days
you may notice that I have tremor or that I may have difficulty writing on the
blackboard.

'I hope you will be understanding about this.'

She found that once she told the students about her Parkinson's disease and
did not appear distressed about it, her ailment was no longer an issue for her
or for the class.

In contrast, the second patient was frightened that others would find out
about his Parkinson's disease.

He tried to alter his environment in order to hide his symptoms, a coping
mechanism that proved less than successful.

When lecturing to his classes, he would arrange to speak from behind a lectern
so that his tremulous hands were out of sight of the audience.

He faced each lecture with a high level of anxiety that only interfered with
his ability to give a lecture and exacerbated his Parkinson's disease
symptoms.

Nondisclosure of symptoms increases the stress of the illness and interferes
with successful adaptation needed for managing Parkinson's disease.

Individuals who use denial or avoidance as a primary coping strategy are most
likely to attempt to conceal their diagnosis from others.

At early stages of Parkinson's disease, this strategy may actually work for a
period of time, but this strategy usually fails as the illness progresses.

Social withdrawal due to embarrassment about early stage symptoms of
Parkinson's disease has been a major issue for many patients.

Those patients who withdraw from their usual social and recreational
activities are most likely to experience depression.

Depression is a common accompaniment of Parkinson's disease.

In the early and middle stages of Parkinson's disease, the level of depression
is a function of self-appraisal processes.

The best predictor of depression is a person's self-rating of her/his own
disability.

Self-appraisal processes and the use of appropriate coping strategies can
reduce the degree of emotional distress that a patient experiences.

Note: the above excerpt is from the following message:
>Subj:   PS: Psychosocial Factors in the Treatment of PD
>Date:  02 February 1998
>From:  janet paterson
>
>"re-re-post"
>
>hello cyber-siblings
>
>there seems to be a flock of new members on the list [siblets?]
>and i thought it might be helpful to re-post this article
>since there were so many positive reactions last time
>
>your psycho-social cyber-sis
>janet
>original posted 19 September 1997
>Psychosocial Factors in the Treatment of Parkinson's Disease:
>A Contextual Approach
>by
>Robert G. Feldman, M.D.,
>Peter Mosbach, Ph.D.,
>Cathi-Ann Thomas, R.N., M.S., and
>Linda M. Perry, R.N., M.Ed.
>This is an excerpt of Chapter 14 from the book
>The Comprehensive Management of Parkinson's Disease, 1995
>Demos Vermande Publications, 386 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10016

janet paterson
51 - 10 / sinemet - selegiline - prozac
almonte - ontario - canada / [log in to unmask]