From:   Parkinson's Information Exchange on behalf of MRS BEV K STEWARD
Sent:   Wednesday, March 25, 1998 9:45 AM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        Re: Hip Pain

I have had three total hip replacements in the past twelve years.  I
believe it was due to the cartilege being destroyed between the hip
bones by my extreme dyskinesias over many years.  The doctors say it
was due to arthritis.  However, I have no arthritic pain anywhere
else in my body. When the prothesis were put in the terrible grinding
pain was gone completely, leaving only the temporary pain of healing
from the incision for the surgery.  The third hip replacement was
necessary because the plastic material which llined the ball of the
hip joint had started to break down and was causing my body to erode
my bone when it could not erode the plastic material.  These are the
chances we all take with new developments that haven't really had a
long enough track record to know all the facts.  But, I have been
pain free for twelve years and am so grateful.  I couldn't  have
lived the active, contributing life I now live without the surgery.
Hip surgery has a better record for success than knee replacement,
which is a bit trickier, but good.

So, if you  have been a victim of dyskinesia for quite awhile with
its attendant writhing aod reeling of the hips (my hula hoop dance, I
called it) you may have reason to suspect a similar situation to what
I faced.

Be sure if you decide to have any surgery that you coordinate your
neuro, internist, anaesthesiologist and surgeon on you plans and that
each is aware of your Parkinson and of what the other doctors are
prescribing.  The anaesthesiologist should be consulted well before
surgery (not just thse night before as is the common practice)  The
doctors will tell you that you have no control over who does your
anaesthetizing.  Don't you believe it!  Usually the surgeon has a
favorite doctor who he prefers.  Find out who this is ahead of time
and contact him, educating him on the medications you are taking, the
contraindications of some combinations such as demerol and Eldepryl
and others on the lists of no-no's available from the National PD
Foundations.  Also indicate that if the operation is to be a long one
you would like to be given  your Sinemet in liquid form through a
tube in your nose to the stomach during the operation.  This can be
arranged for those that require definite meds timing. You won't lose
as much ground with your PD this way.  Also, never swallow any
medication in the hospital without knowing what it is and that it is
not contraindicated for your PD.  Ask the nurse if you don't
recognize it.  Ask her what it is for and if necessary ask her for a
PDR (Physicians Desk Reference) which will tell you all about any
medication.  No one can make you take something that is bad for you
if you are watch-dogging your own health.  If it's too much for you
in your condition, always have an advocate handy when you are in the
h ospital, a friend, relative or person knowledgeable about PD and
your condition.  Especially in today 's world with the HMO situation
trying desparately to cut costs, sometimes to the disadvantage of the
patient you need to be alert to protect your well being.  When I am
hospitalized my neuro has a standing order in my nurses's station
folder that I am to administer all my own PD meds. Some doctors do
not trusts their patients to this extent.  If you feel you are one
that could be trusted and are knowledgeable about meds, be sure to
ask for this privilege especially if you have a very strict med
regimen.

This is longer than I expected, but I feel strongly that hospitals
need to be educated on the nuances of PD in caring for their cases
that are in for any reason.  Our support group has an in-service
training team that goes to local hospitals, nursing homes and
retirement full care services as well as rehab institutes and gives
classes on how to treat Parkinson patients in the hospital situation..
.it's an ongoing educational process for our own benefit.

Bev, the Bionic Woman