Barb Patterson and "All"...

Following is a copy of the ENTIRE article which was posted in part earlier
today by Barb P .(I'm presuming that Barb P. received an abbreviated version
of the original article).  I initially thought I'd not copy/post the original
however feel compelled to do so now.

Truthfully, I found the original article to have virtually no new PD
information, and feel it was written in a smug, "You DOCTOR always knows
what's best for YOU" attitude, with that smugness "softened" by the author's
throwing Parkies a bone by acknowledging that we ARE considered (presumably
the medical community) to be very educated about our disease.

Overall, I think this message comes across as not only simplistic, but gives
incorrect advise in saying the MD shouldn't give out TOO MUCH PD INFO TOO SOON
to the Parkie because they wouldn't want to cause them "distress."

Is it better to leave us in ignorance with that overbearing paternalistic
point of view?   Do we just do what the medical professionals tell us to do
BLINDLY?

I don't think so!  READ ON for entire article:

Barb Mallut

Copyright © 1998 Nando.net
Copyright © 1998 Reuters News Service
WASHINGTON (March 24, 1998 9:07 p.m. EST

New drugs are offering new hope for Parkinson's
disease patients, although there is still no cure, top
neurologists said Tuesday.

Writing in a special supplement to the journal
Neurology, Dr. Warren Olanow, at Mount Sinai
Medical Center in New York, and Dr. William Koller
of the University of Kansas in Kansas City, said
doctors should know about how, and when, to use
new treatment options.

Parkinson's disease (PD), which affects an estimated
one million people in the United States, begins with
shakiness, progressing to total loss of muscular control
and sometimes dementia. There is no cure.

"Levodopa (L-dopa) is the most effective drug in the
 treatment of PD," Olanow and Koller wrote. "Virtually all
patients benefit from treatment."

Parkinson's is characterized by a lack of dopamine, an
important message-carrying chemical involved in
movement and muscle control, in the brain. Levodopa
helps replenish it.  But levodopa works well for only about
five years. Dopamine agonists -- which augment the
effects of dopamine -- provide help, especially early on in
the disease, they said.

These included bromocriptine, sold as Parlodel by
Novartis and pergolide, sold as Permax by Athena
Neurosciences Inc. "Three new dopamine agonists have
recently been introduced to the market: cabergoline
(Cabsar or Dostinex), pramipexole (Mirapex, sold by
Pharmacia and Upjohn) and ropinirole (Requip, sold by SmithKline Beecham),"
they added. Cabsar is not
marketed in the United States but is sold in Europe.

Counseling, good nutrition and exercise were also
important, they said. Drugs that stop disease
progression by protecting nerves are needed, but no
drug had been shown to do this yet, they wrote. Selegilene,
a drug known as a monoamine oxidase inhibitor, might
help, they said.

Other drugs that might help and were used by some
doctors included anticholinergics, which affect the brain
chemical acetylcholine, the antiviral drug amantadine
and COMT inhibitors, which affect levodopa.

Surgery is another possibility, including the transplant
of brain cells from aborted or miscarried fetuses, but this technology remains
experimental.

"Education about PD can provide the patient with
understanding and a sense of control," they wrote. But
knowing too much too soon could be distressing, they
added.

"PD patients tend to be well-educated and often bring
new treatments to the attention of their physician," the
report added. However, they said it was important to
make sure all treatment information was properly
screened.

"Misinformation, particularly on the Internet, could lead to unauthorized,
inappropriate and potentially harmful
treatments, diets or exercise programs," they wrote.
Parkinson's is the second most common
neurodegenerative disorder after Alzheimer's, afflicting
about 1 percent of all people over 50, or 1 to 1.5 million Americans and
millions more around the world.