Date:  30 October 1997
From:  janet paterson
Subject: re-post: CD: perceptions of clinical depression
original posted on 01 August 1997

hello syber-siblings

in fond memory of alan bonander

who left us a year ago today, a quote:

        to be depressed is not unusual
        but to stay depressed is unnecessary

this seems to be evolving into a weekly 'syber-sibling cd series'

every time i read of a syber-sibling struggling with cd
i start mulling all over again

since i'm so thankful to be out of it
and because my heart goes out to anyone who's stuck in it

when i'm in the 'slime pit' of cd
i generally cannot see my thinking as distorted

when i'm out of that pit
i can look back and see the distortions clearly

when i'm out of the pit
and if i pay close attention
i can frequently see cd clearly in others

it's a catch 22
for the cd sufferer

if my thinking is distorted
how can i evaluate my thinking?
and how can i accept another's evaluation of my thinking?

while discussing clinical depression [cd] with a friend recently,
we came up with an interesting analogy of
how the brain's chemistry malfunction
can distort normal thinking
into gloom and doom
distortions

we compared the bio-chemical imbalance of cd
to having a faulty fuel gauge in my car

"when you're depressed it always points to empty
and it stresses you
and makes you ill
because even though you know when you're zipping around town
that it can't always be empty
yet there is that time when
it will indeed be empty
and thus it keeps you in a constant state of stress"

i know i'm not 'imagining' anything
because i can see the gauge showing 'empty'

it's just that when i'm caught up in the slime pit
i'm not 'spunky' enough to think the gauge is wrong

instead i 'automatically' assume there must be something wrong with me:
'why do i always forget to fill up?'
'i'm gonna run outta gas and be stuck somewhere any minute and get a ticket'
'why am i always so irresponsible/lazy/etc ?'
'i'll never make it to my appointment on time'

that's sort of how the negative thinking spiral goes
and i believe the constant stress of this 'automatic' thought pattern
contributes to the chemical imbalance
resulting in a downward spiral
of negativity

by contrast
when i'm out of the slime pit
if i saw the fuel gauge showing 'empty'
i would not immediately assume there was anything at all wrong with me:
i would simply look at the gauge and say
"what the heck, i just filled it up the other day! stupid gauge!"
[or something to that effect]

2nd analogy for the mud wrestlers among us:
cd is a slimey liar
it's hard to grab ahold of it
but once i've got it pinned down to the mat
i know it's relatively easy to scrub the slime away

with love from your syber-sis ...

janet

janet paterson
51-10 / sinemet-selegiline-prozac
almonte-ontario-canada / [log in to unmask]