Hi again;

I couldn't resist sharing this one with you, even tho I encouraged a
search on   burden of illness   in a previous post.   Note the
disparity between dollars spent on hospital care and dollars spent
on research..................

                                                     1997-44
                                                July 7, 1997
Health Canada Releases Report on the Economic Burden of
Illness in Canada
SNIP
The
report, prepared by Health Canada's Laboratory Centre for Disease
Control, provides a comprehensive overview of the distribution of the
principal direct and indirect costs of illness in Canada in 1993.
SNIP
Highlights of the report include:
The total cost of illness in Canada for 1993 was an estimated $157
billion which is roughly equivalent to $5,450 per capita or 22% of the
Gross Domestic Product (GDP). Direct costs such as hospitals and other
institutions, physicians and other health professionals, drugs,
research, capital, and other health expenditures accounted for $72
billion. Indirect costs, measured as the value of lost productivity
resulting from long-term and short-term disability and premature
death, accounted for $85 billion. Hospital care was the largest direct
cost ($26 billion), while research was the smallest ($752 million).

Lost productivity resulting from long-term disability (the largest
indirect cost component) cost society $38.3 billion in 1993.
SNIP
The report updates
information provided in the Economic Burden of Illness in Canada,
1986, which was released in 1991. It will be available through the
Canadian Public Health Association through an agreement with Health
Canada. Copies may be obtained from the CPHA Health Resources Centre,
Tel (613) 725-3769, FAX (613) 725-9826 for $5.95 plus handling/GST.
The report will also be available free of charge on the Health Canada
(LCDC) Website at

http://www.hwc.ca/hpb/lcdc

SNIP

.......752 million for research for ALL health related disease.......

I can't imagine how very little for Parkinson's..........Murray 53/4
.