Barb,

For some reason I didn't get your post. I remember reading Shari's post and
another, and commented to my husband that I hadn't seen anything on the list
from you about your disability problems. My husband gets the digest and
after checking, I found there were four posts that I didn't receive.

I had to leave my job in February 1996. I applied for and received my
disability through my employer with no problems at all. I had documentation
from the health unit doctor, my family doctor, neurologist and a psychiatrist.

The employer's insurer paid my full pension, but required that I apply for
Canada Pension disabilty, which would be turned over to them. I applied in
June 1996, and within a couple of months received a letter stating that I
did not meet the requirements for a disability pension. The letter did not
say what the requirements were.

I then had to appeal the decision, which I did in December 1996. At that
time I was told by a Canada Pension staff member that whether or not your
application is approved can depend on whether the person who evalutes it has
any medical knowledge or compassion. Over the course of the next year, I was
called frequently by the insurance company wanting to know the status of my
appeal. Each time they called, I assured them I would notify them as soon as
I heard from CPP. I was sent more forms to be filled out by my doctors, and
the frequency of the calls was quite distressing.

In December 1997, I wrote to a member of parliament asking for his
assistance. I received a call the first week of January from the MP's office
notifying me that my disability had been approved. During this conversation
the young man said he had recently been to a seminar at which he learned
that because the system was being abused, Canada Pension had clamped down,
and it was suggeted that they had gone too far, and legitmate applicants
were being turned down.

A friend of mine who was also turned down last summer when she applied for
CPP, has just recently been approved.

I still do not know what the criteria are for getting a CPP disability
pension, but I was never asked about nerve or muscle damage. My application
was based on the symptoms that I had at the time, which as you know Barb,
are very similar to yours.

It does seem that you may have to get help from a politician or a lawyer.

Best of luck,

Judith