From:   Parkinson's Information Exchange on behalf of Barbara Patterson
Sent:   Sunday, March 22, 1998 10:50 AM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        Invisible No More

Invisible No More
Joan Samuelson said in her address to congress, "And then, one day, that
person (with Parkinson's) starts disappearing as the act of coping
becomes too much.  Perhaps if we died soon as a function of Parkinson's, its
impact would appear more dramatic.  Instead, we step out of the
functioning world and are forgotten."

Ivan and Barb M. have taken the slogan "Invisible No More" to heart and
to the television screens in their neighbourhoods and across countries
and national borders.  Rather than criticize them, let's learn from
them.  People who have never given Parkinson's a second thought, now have
a picture of PD...Ivan and/or Barb M.

Frankly, we need the publicity.

The more people who know what PD looks like and that it can attack people
of any age, race, creed, nationality, sex and sexual orientation, the
better it is for all of us with Parkinson's.  The more people who look at
one of us and think, "This COULD happen to me", the better it is for all
of us with Parkinson's.

Following Barb M.'s and Ivan's examples, let us, each one of us, make a
decision TODAY to be "Invisible No More".  When a message is posted to
this list which we feel is interesting or powerful or descriptive of life
(and death) with Parkinson's, don't keep it to ourselves.  Create a list
in your email program with the addresses of your local newspaper editors,
local television and radio news stations, national news agencies and your
elected representatives and forward that message (with the author's
permission) to ALL of them.  Make sure to include your name, address and
telephone number and the information that you or your loved one has
Parkinson's.

Also print the messages for your local support group members and
distribute them along with the email or snail mail addresses and/or fax
numbers of the media and elected representatives.  Ask that the support
group members also forward the messages.

Ivan and Barb M...congratulations on a job well done.  You are an
inspiration to us all who are determined to be "Invisible No More".

Barb
Barbara Patterson                               [log in to unmask]
HSC 2J22                                        905-525-9140, ext. 22403
                        School of Nursing