Barb,
I guess joining the internet is kind of like starting a book in the middle.
I certainly missed some vital facts. I do have a friend that is battling to
keep her social security after deep brain stimulation which improved her
distonia and tremors but left her with a severe speech problem. So I will
be interested in your progress and I have a multitude of stories of my own
to be told in my unwritten book.  Anyway, that didn't answer your question
about nerve and muscle damage. I have nerve damage in my right leg that has
caused atrophy in my ankle. My DR. doesn't know if it is Parkinson's
related it is just one more thing that is part of the total picture.
Looking forward to meeting next month. Usually sleep like a baby  since my
DBS surgery but went out with friends and ate too much too late.  --burp--
plus we are babysitting our daughters dog that is extremely shy  and about
bed time this huge German shepard had to go----- I let him out and he won't
come back in.  I"ll get him some how!!