greg:
i can appreciate your feelings. i was diagnosed with pd at the age of 48.
i didn't open up and make it public knowledge until almost two years
later. i went through the standard reactions. i was depressed, how could
this happen to me. i went thru a period of denial believing that the
doctor had made a mistake. then i went thru a period of reluctant
acceptance,afraid that those around me would see me as disabled and feel
sorry for me.
finally,almost two years later, i realized that i had a disease that
wasn't going away. i had to deal with it. my attitude quickly changed to
"what the hell,i've got it, it isn't going away. if other people can't
deal with it, it's their problem ,not mine."
i felt like someone had taken a load off my shoulders. i now have no
problem talking to others about pd.
i belong to a YOUNG PARKINSON SUPPORT GROUP and that has been great. my
wife and i have the opportunity to share our experience with our peers.
it helps a lot
if you have any questions, don't be afraid to e-mail me.
best regards
murph brown