Joe Bruman wrote:
> A recent series of articles in the biweekly magazine Computer Currents
> warns that *excessive* use of the voice can be as damaging as excessive
> typing. Without experience of any dictation software, I can only cite
> from the magazine. There are two general kinds of dictation software:
> The older kind required each word to be enunciated separately,
> straining the vocal apparatus because of the unaccustomed accent.
> Newer software permits ordinary flowing speech, but is just as harmful.
> They cite:
>
> Kambeyanda D et al:Assistive Technology 1997; vol. 9:
> Four [heavy] users of SR developed severe voice problems within a year:
> (loss of vocal control, endurance, or complete voice). After several
> months of rehab, two tried SR again, but deteriorated so quickly they
> decided to give it up. In additional anecdotes, authors report that the
> newer type of software was no safer than the old kind.
>
> Cheers,
> Joe
> J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
> 3527 Cody Road
> Sherman Oaks, CA 91403-5013

I can't understand how voice dictation software can harm the voice. I use
the older version of Dragon Dictate. I chose it deliberately to make me
pronounce the individual words and improve my diction. I bought a copy
for my home use as well. My problem is one of not talking and exercising
the vocal chords regularly :-)
I would be interested in any other experiences

Bob Hills
Leeds, England
46/6