Some of you asked me for the name & number of the advocacy firm I mentioned.
Its
Allsup, Inc.
300 Allsup Place
Belleville, IL 62223-8626
800 854 1418

Barbara Mallut's problem notwithstanding, I still recommend them (although
based on second-hand information).

It doesn't sound like much has changed with that agency since Money magazine
did that expose last fall.  They concluded then it was a badly mismanaged
operation, calling it, I seem to recall, worse than the IRS.  They were
particularly harsh on the employees at some of the local offices.  They also
said the local offices can and do make up their own rules and standards.
Money did not pick SSDI to test, it  was the computation of retirement
benefits, I think.

I was surprised to hear about the demand for a $2,500 up-front  fee from
her  former attorney.  I understood that law firms can, by law, charge more
than advocacy firms, but I thought they were also only allowed take any fee
on a contingency basis AND only from BACK benefits they get for the
claimant.  Must be different rules for the second time around.  There indeed
must be a lesson here!

So much to look forward to - wheelchairs, suicide, social security hassles,
disability parking plates, feeding tubes, depression, bowel impacting.
Somehow we have to find that cure.  God know we have plenty of incentives.