Bruce, I second your idea - both parts of it.

It is important that we not dilute our efforts on the Udall funding, so
that should come first.

But when that is taken care of, or nearly so, the Social Security
Administration should be focused on by those of us in the U.S.  I have not
had contact with them myself yet, but i have heard enough horror stories.

Pardon if I am a bit facetious, but I get the impression that valid claims
are turned down routinely so that a former SSA employee will  have to be
hired for the appeal.  The former SSA employee will get the claim approved,
also routinely, and (s)he will get his(her) cut for it.  And it will stay
this way unless someone shakes it up, because the present SSA employees
look forward to getting money from the system this way on their retirement.

If this is true, I doubt that it was what Congress had in mind.  Congress
ought to change the law to prevent this possible abuse.

Art

At 10:17 AM 3/24/98 -0500, Bruce Anderson wrote:
>Perhaps we, the recipients and potential recipient of SS and VA benefits,
>etc, don't complain enough.
>Looks what happening to the recipients (victims is maybe the better word) of
>HMO benefits.  There are so many more of them, they were getting screwed by
>thee HMO and now there's a BI-partisan Patient's Bill of Rights which is
>reportedly going to be  passed by Congress.  And look what's happened with
>the IRS.  Enough people complained that Congress is also about to pass a
>bill to straighten those folks out.
>
>Perhaps when we're done trying to get $  for Udall we should start on
>Congress to fix the poorly run SSA.  I would love to see some of its victims
>I've heard about here over the years testifying before a Congressional
>committee  on  the evening news.

Arthur Hirsch [] [log in to unmask] [] Lewisville, TX

               Always Remember This:
     Happiness Is Right, So Choose Happiness