Hi List,

I introduced myself several months ago, but it's been awhile so perhaps I
should do it again....My mother-in-law has been diagnosed with PD for about
10 years. It recently has gotten to the point where she's thinking about
moving from her home in Boston out here to the San Francisco Bay Area where
her children and grandchildren are. She's been living on her own in Boston,
but her PD is getting bad enough where she will either have to live with
us, or her daughter, or find some kind of assisted living situation (really
appreciated that thread back in january). We're trying to find a way to
make it financially (and otherwise) feasible.

One possibility is for my mother-in-law to give some of her retirement
money to her daughter. Her daughter would then buy a bigger house (maybe
with a cottage in the back) and my mother-in-law would live with her. We
are wondering if there are any foreseeable problems with getting Medicaid
in the future if it is discovered that my mother-in-law gave her money
away. In other words, would Medicaid decide that my mother-in-law is
ineligible based on the fact that she *had * money and didn't use it for
medical expenses.

We are also wondering about home health care. Does anyone have information
about the costs of part-time and full-time home health care? I think I've
heard that it can be exorbitant.

Thanks so much for any info you can provide! This list is a great source of
information  for my family.

Adele Szilardi
Berkeley,
CA