At 03:49 PM 3/25/98 -0800, Joe Bruman wrote:

>As a non-professional, I'm hesitant to say this, but if your neuro
>really doesn't know about the dangerous Demerol-Deprenyl interaction,
>maybe you should find another neurologist.

I'm with Joe.  We talk about people trying snake oil on anecdotal evidence
because "it might help them."  Maybe it's good stuff, maybe not; we don't
know for sure.  No double blind tests have been done to prove the efficacy.

Even were the evidence on the interaction between Selegiline (Deprenyl or
Eldepryl) and Pethidine (Demerol) only anecdotal, this would not affect
your decision.  There will not be double-blind tests to prove the
interaction.  For the tests to succeed, half the test subjects would have
to die as a result.  So maybe it's lethal, maybe not.

So perhaps, David, your physician is right: there is no substantive PROOF
of the interaction, but I certainly would not let him "practice" on me.
And if he doesn't understand the logic of this, Joe's advice to stay clear
of this neurologist is badly understated.

I'm also a non-professional as far as medical things go.  But I am not
hesitant when I come to the same conclusion as Joe.  I don't want to lose a
listmember.  Find another neurologist.

Art

Arthur Hirsch [] [log in to unmask] [] Lewisville, TX

               Always Remember This:
     Happiness Is Right, So Choose Happiness