Group -

Obviously, there are no Parkinsonians more qualified to speak about the "pig-
cell" implant procedure than the original eleven.  As most of you probably
know, I am one of them.  With that said, I offer the following comments and
observations.

When I was given the chance to participate in Phase 1 (A test designed to
evaluate ONLY the safety aspects of this procedure) it was VERY clearly
explained to me that there were NO guarantees whatsoever that any benefits
would result.  Of equal importance, I was informed that there could be unknown
dangers in the experiment. I was told that the potential improvement was ONLY
theoritical.  Allow me to reinforce this paragraph: Nothing was promised.

Upon agreeing to become a "test-bed" for the xenotransplantation I underwent
very rigorous examinations to assure that I was a physically and
psychologically suitable candidate.

It is also significant to mention that I ALWAYS had the option of terminating
my role in all of this; right up to the time of the actual surgery.  At NO
time was the situation not under my direct control.

We all despise the use of "double-blind" studies.  But most of us recognize
the necessity of them.  Until something better is developed it's likely that
they'll be with us for a long time.

As far as ethics are concerned; it seems to me that it is UNETHICAL to NOT
continue this important research.  It is morally wrong to deny the possibility
of a cure (or, at least an improved life) for those of us who suffer from this
hideous disease.  I strongly suspect that these somewhat Holier-Than-Thou
ethicists would sing a different tune if they were struck with Parkinson's
Disease.  Their brand of thinking would still have us believing that the World
was flat and that sending man to the Moon was nothing more than fodder for
science-fiction.

On a more personal note; it has been 18 months since my implant surgery was
performed.  I am most happy to write that improvement continues.  Virtually
all symptoms have been lessened.  No, I have not been cured.  Yes, I am doing
significantly better.  Also, I have had virtually no side-effects.

For those of you who have not read my previous postings, you may request a
copy of a "diary" of my experiences with this operation.  Please write
directly to me as a note to the ListServe may not be seen.

Finally, watch for a VERY important posting from me in the next week or so.

Warmly -

Jim Finn