Dear friends

I for one - am grateful to Barb and Ivan and I happen to need their continued
pposts because they help me.So I hope they haven't been discouraged.

 I wish I could be as strong andd giving as they are. I appreciate their
ongoing  encouragement to all of us, whether it's funny or emotional,  to keep
up the good fight.

I'm a young-onsett Parkie When first diagnosed at 36 almost ten years ago, I
was a single parent (# kids with no family or goverenment assistacne, we were
verypoor and I worked very hard to raise mym 3 kids right. my first and
greatest concern was the absolute fear and sense of loss of knowing I will
probably end up being a burden to my children. After having struggled alll
those years trying to  move barriers out of their way trying to give them a
chance to be make their way in this tough world, it was cruel for me,  or
rather the need to care for me in the late sttages of PD, to end up being the
greatest weight  they'll have to bear. I want them to live their own lives,
not having to worry for me. Within the first month, I joined the Hemlock
Society -- a group that supports assisted suicide.  Many of the young- onset
Persons with PD that I know have thought of suicide and so have many of my
mature-onset PD friends have too. And the reasons that the thrrerat is a
reality has been made  too evident to mee  -  I've seen friends whose PD
progresson suddenly took the bad turn - none of them believing it was finally
hitting them sso hard, that this time no medicine or surgery coulld help. they
weren't going to pull out of that "off" state.But it happened, and the trap
door finally locked for good, and they have been trapped in the real prison
that is PD at it's worse. We don't talk about it, but I've seen and heard too
often how my Parkinsonian riends' family expressed their wishes that teir
loved one would be freed by death, and I've heard dear parkies trapped in
their own bodies asking with whispering voice for relef by death. For two of
my  riends, death finally cammem. Two others are still cruelly trapped in
living death. Whether  people actually kill themselves or wish the could - we
are too close to the prison that can eventually  make  us wish for it. Please.
We need each other's strength to fight it. Let's stick together. Like it o
not, we're in it together .
Love you all. Thanks for sharing and for letting me do the same
 Keep it up Barb & Ivan.
.  Maryhelen