hi pat

you wrote:
>Dear Group,
>My mother, 80 years old, suffers Parkinson disease.
>She recently began having hallucinations which her
>doctor says may be related to the drug Sinemet.
>The doctor reduced her dosage and added Requip.

can you give us a bit more info in re the timing and dosages?
her previous level of sinemet?
her current meds?

how long has your mother had pd?

how 'recently' did the hallucinations start?
were there any other lifestyle changes around that time?
e.g. other meds, diet, exercise, stress, living conditions?

>She still has the hallucinations such as orange guinea pigs
>running around, smoke rings floating, and furry tails moving around
>her. She is afraid that these effecte may be or become permanent.

she is right to be concerned
but anxiety can sometimes make them worse

i will send a re-post separately of a message
called "drug induced psychosis in pd"

it includes a few abstracts [summaries]
of current medical studies on the subject

>The doctor appears to not understand my mother's concern.

jumping in [again] with both feet
i will say this:
hmph!
i wonder how concerned
your mother's doctor would be if their roles were swtched
along with the guinea pigs and the smoke rings?

what other medicos has your mother seen in the past?
who evaluated her pd to start with?

>...Can anyone throw some light on this situation?  My mom is
>frigtened and feels that her mind is going,  she can't do things
>right anymore, and her strength is becoming feeble...

tiny modifications to our brain chemistry
can cause cognitive distortions that can be scarey

but another side of that coin is

tiny modifications to our brain chemistry
can cause cognitive improvements

i'm sure you and she will get some great advice here

with love from your cyber-sibling

janet

janet paterson
51-10 / sinemet-selegiline-prozac
almonte-ontario-canada / [log in to unmask]