Hello Fellow Tasmar takers,

Yesterday I visited my neuro doc and we decided that I would try taking this
drug. He immediately wrote an Rx for a full liver function test. He wants to
review the results PRIOR to my taking the drug.=A0 The test is to be
continued on
a=A0 monthly schedule for 6 months. Since, tolcapone is absorbed by the=
 small
intestine and metabolized by the liver, there seems to be relevance for=
 taking
this precaution.

I reviewed the many posts relating to this drug, and did not see anyone
mentioning this 'inconvenience'. I checked some of the literature and found
that=A0 a small number of patients may develop raised levels of alanine
aminotransferase (ALT) and aspartane aminotransferase (AST) between 6-12=
 weeks
after the start of treatment.
In those cases where the subjects stopped their treatment, the levels=
 returned
to normal within 2-4 weeks of discontinuing treatment without any other
hepatic
adverse effects being observed.=A0 In patients who continued tocapone=
 treatment,
liver enzyme abnormalities resolved spontaneously without sequelae (morbid
condition following as a consequence).=A0 More patients developed elevated=
 ALT
levels than AST levels. The reason for this phenomenon is not known, and no
obvious differences were seen between patients with or without elevated
transaminases in terms of previous or concomitant medical conditions or
medications.=A0=20

The preceeding is paraphrasing sections of an article in Neurology 49,
September 1997, p. 665-670, written by C.H. Waters, MD: M. Kurth, MD; et al

Does anyone have the insert that comes with the medication? Can you please
check it?=A0 I do not mean to alarm anyone, but this may be important info.

Thanks,
Margaret

DOB: 1941/Dx: 1980/Cured:ASAP
Slogans wont do it/Hard work will