At 02:51 PM 3/27/98 -0800, you wrote:

>So, I don't agree that the risks of a registry outweigh the gains.
>Cheers,
>Joe

Hello Joe, Art, et al,

A couple of days ago I tried to contact Rita Weeks, who so valiantly=
 defended
Nebraska's legislative move to establish a PD registry. I am forever=
 foraging
the internet for statistical info that would add more "teeth" to=A0 our=
 argument
for FULL funding of the Udall Act. It seems that all disease groups, except
PD,
have current, hard hitting data backing up their funding demands.=20

I thought that if I could get actual data from Nebraska, it may be possible=
apply it on a national level.=A0 Unfortunately, Rita's mailbox was full and=
 my
email was returned,

<On 009/004/96, Rita Weeks wrote:=20
Subject: Parkinson's Registry=20
Nebraska Unicameral (we have only one house in our state legislature)=
 tonight
passed LB 496 to establish a registry for Parkinson's Disease and other
movement disorders in the state of Nebraska.=A0 This will be maintained by=
 the
State Health Dept. The Parkinson's community in Nebraska has put much effort
into educating the state legislators during the past two years. After the
governors signature, Nebraska will have a registry to facilitate=20
epidemiological studies of Parkinson's patients.>

I looked up the phone number of the NE Health Department, Health Systems
Planning and Evaluation Division:=A0 402-471-2337.=A0 It sounds like this=A0=
 may be
the right department to call? Is there someone who lives in, or near=
 Lincoln,
NE and has time to check if a report has been generated containing stat info
relating to incidence and cost?

There are the two major areas that impress politicians: 1/=A0 what % of the
population is diagnosed with PD; what is the breakdown by age, sex, etc,=
 and=A0
what is the projected growth of the population, with special consideration
given to the "baby boomers" , and
2/ how much is the current related cost and what is the projected cost per
annum for the next 25 years.=A0=20

Ideas and help is welcomed!

Margaret

DOB: 1941/Dx: 1980/Cured:ASAP