NO, NO, a thousand times NO!!!

I am writing to the List because I don't have the address of the
original poster (who I already answered).  The comments below, by
Bobby Harley, refer to WIN 95 (and are incorrect for that, also);
deleting files which end in .bak, .chk, etc., may clear space, but
they may also disable something critical unless you know *exactly*
what they are.

"File Manager", while present in WIN 95, does not exist as a
"shortcut".  It is still there (as c:\windows\winfile.exe); but what
the original questioner is asking about refers to WIN 3.1. File
Manager exists in the "Main" group; but if he cannot run Windows, he
can't gain access to the Program groups!

If the problem is not enough memory (RAM), or mal-distributed memory,
then my recommendations to run "Memmaker" from the DOS prompt will
work.  If that will not allow you to open Windows, you should
probably take the machine to a shop.

Good luck!

Best,

Bob Fink

> >John if you're able to run windows at all ,you need to go your "file
> manager" program.
> I think you'll find it under "my computer" possibly under "control panel".
> Click on your
> Windows folder and then look for all the following
> folders."TEMPORARY",TEMP, TEMPDIR,
> HISTORY/{if you use a browser}.open all theses files and delete their
> contents.also delete all files that end in ."bak,chk,. this will in most
> cases give sometimes as much as 30-60mb space. good luck ,Bobby

======================================

ROBERT A. FINK, M. D., F.A.C.S.
Neurological Surgery
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, CA  94704-2636  USA
Phone:  (510) 849-2555   FAX:  (510) 849-2557

WWW:  <http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/>

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"